Doo Young Kim
B. S. Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
M. S. Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Ph. D. University of Texas at Austin
The Kim group is pursuing research in the area of electrochemical energy-storage/conversion and electrochemical biosensing. We are particularly interested in utilizing carbon-based materials combined with conducting polymers and metal oxides. Various physical, electrochemical, and spectroscopic characterizations are employed to understand structure-function relationship and enhance the performance of materials. Followings are the projects which we are pushing currently.
1. Efficient energy storage devices such as supercapacitor and batteries: We are developing highly efficient energy storage materials with high energy/power densities and good cyclic stability. Research is being conducted with a variety of carbon materials (onion-like carbons, graphene nanoplatelets (GNPs), and sp3-bonded nanodiamond), which can be further modified with metal-oxide and conductive polymers to enhance pseudo-capacitance. We are also interested in modifying the electrode surface and interface via electrochemical method in order to tailor the electronic and electrochemical properties.
2. Advanced electrocatalyst and catalyst support system for polymer exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs): High cost, rareness, limited lifetime of Pt electrocatalyst and the deterioration of its catalytic activity during the extended running cycles are the critical hurdles for launching PEMFC in the commercial market, especially in the transportation application. Our approach are being taken in two directions: (i) to develop alternative catalyst materials using heteroatom doping into carbon nanomaterials and (ii) to improve support stability by non-traditional sp3-bonded carbon (conductive diamond). Research will include material synthesis, elecrochemical analysis, and characterizations with X-ray diffraction, Raman spectroscopy, electron microscopy, and electrochemical test.
3. Fluorescent carbon nanodots (FCNs): Fluorescent carbon nanodots (FCNs) are emerging nano-materials with promising properties for many applications such as bioimaging, sensing, photocatalysis, and photovoltaics. A confined, conjugated sp2-bonded carbon core surrounded by a shell of chemical functional groups can produce bright, photostable and tunable photoluminescence. Our research is being broadly conducted, including : (i) synthesis of FCNs, (ii) spectroscopic studies in ensemble and at single-particle level (iii) heteroatom doping to tune opitcal properties, and (iv) chemical and electrochemical treatments of FCNs.
4. Electroanalysis, electrochemical sensing, and neuroscience: Detecting the release or uptake of neurotransmitter in biological tissue (e.g. brain tissue) is an important research area and critical for understanding the metabolism and development of related drugs. Electrochemical method is a powerful method of identifying and quantifying the neurotransmitters. We are pursuing the research to understand structure-function relationship of electrode materials and to develop high-performance macro- and micro-electrode with high selectivity and sensitivity by combining electrochemical methods with spectroscopic tools.
Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry
(1) Zhang, Yan, Reed Allen; Kim, Doo Young* "Nitrogen Doped CArbon Nano-Onions as Effiecient Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction" (2016) submitted
(2) Yeom, SH; Liu, Y; Ware, M.; Lee, MJ; Kim, Kyung-Bo; Kim Doo-Young* "Hydrothermal Synthesis of Carbon Nanodots from Polyethylene Glycols: Effect of Temperature and Graphene Quantum Dots" (2016) submitted
(3) Little, Tim; Kim, Doo Young* "Temperature-dependent Nitrogen Locoalization in graphene quantum dots and the effect of photoluminescence" (2016) submitted
(4) Liu, Yiyang; Kim, Doo-Young* "Unusal red emission and photochemistry of graphene quantum dots under strong alkaline condition" (2016) submitted
(5) Yang, Juchan, Zhang, Yan, Kim, Doo Young* “Superior Biosensing Performance of Nanodiamond-Derived Carbon Nano-Onions: Comparison with Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes, Graphite Nanoflakes, and Glassy Carbon” (2016) Carbon (2016) 98, 74-82
(6) Islam, syed; Reed, Allen; Kim, Doo-Young*, Rankin, Stephen E.* "Remarkable Enhancement of Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production in N2/Ar Plasma Treated, Mesoporous TiO2 Films" J. Phys. Chem. C. (2016) 120(26), 14069-14081
(7) Yu, Lei; Zhang, Yan; Hudak, Bethany; Wallace, Damon; Kim, Doo Young; Guiton, Beth S. "Simple Synthetic Route to Manganese-Containing Nanowires with the Spinel Crystal Structure", J. Solid State Chem. (2016) 240, 23-29.
(8) Islam, Syed; Reed, Allen; Kim, Doo Young*; Rankin, Stephen* ”N2/Ar Plasma Induced Doping of Ordered Nanoporous TiO2 Thin Films for Visible Light Photocatalysis” Microporous and Mesoporous Mater. (2016) 220, 120-128
(9) Das, SK; Luk CM; Martin WE; Tang L; Kim, Doo Young; Lau SP; Richards, Chris "Size and Dopant Dependent Sing Partlcle Fluorescence Properties of Graphene Quantum Dots" J. Phys. Chem. C (2015) 119(31), 17988-17994.
(10) Zhang, Yan; Kim, Doo Young* “Electrochemical Treatment of Glassy Carbon for Label-Free Detection of DNA Bases and Neurotransmitters” Electroanalysis, (2015) 27, 1-8.
(11) (patent) Shaffer, Scott; Moore, Brian; Kim, Doo Young; “A filter Cartridge and a Method for Forming a Filter Medium” Application number:14502080, 30-SEP-2014
(12) Liu, Yiyang; Kim, Doo Young* “Ultraviolet and Blue Emitting Graphene Quantum Dots Derived from Carbon Nano-Onions and Their Comparisons for Metal Ion Sensing” Chem. Comm. (2015), 51, 4176-4179
(13) Bae, Joonho*; Park, Young J.; Yang, Ju C.; Kim, Hyoun W.; Kim, Doo Young* "Toward wearable and stretchable fabric-based supercapacitors: novel ZnO and SnO2 nanowires—carbon fibre and carbon paper hybrid structure" J. Solid State Electrochem. (2015) 19, 211-219
(14) Liu, Yiyang; Kim, Doo Young* “Electrochemical Oxidation of Nanodiamond Derived Carbon Nano-onions” Electrochima Acta (2014), (2014), 139, 82–87.
(15) Das, Somes K.; Liu, Yiyang; Yeom,Sinhea; Kim, Doo Young*, Richards, Christopher I.* “Single-Particle Fluorescence Intensity Fluctuations of Carbon Nanodots” Nano Letters. (2014) 14(2), 620–625.
(16) Borgohain, Rituraj; Yang, Juchan; Selegue, John P*.; Kim, Doo Young* “Controlled Synthesis, Purification, and Electrochemical Properties of Carbon Nano-onions Prepared via Under Water Arc-discharge” Carbon, 66, 272-284 (2014)
(17) Park, Ji Eun; Wu, Ying; Carmony, Kimberly Cornish; Miller, Zachary; Lee, Do-Min; Kim, Doo-Young; Lee, Wooin; Kim, Kyung-Bo* “A FRET-Based Approach for Identification of Proteasome Catalytic Subunit Composition” Molecular Biosystems (2014), 10, 196-200
(18) Kim, Hyoun W.; Kim, Hyo S.; Na, Han G.; Yang, Ju C.; Bae, Joon H. Kim, Sung S.; Cheong, Hyeonsik; Kim, Doo Young* “Synthesis and Characterizations of Sb2O4 Nanowire Prepared by Heating the Sb2S3 Powder” Electrochem. Solid Sate Lett. (2012) 15(6), K49-K52
(19) Kim, Doo Young; Yang, Juchan; Kim, Hyoun Woo, Swain, Greg M., “Electron transfer Kinetics of Ferrocene Carboxylic Acid (FCA) in Boron-doped Diamond Electrode in Ionic Liquid and Aqueous Electrolyte” Electrochim. Acta (2013), 94, 49-56
(20) Li, Liangliang; Kim, Doo Young; Swaing, Greg M. “Transient Formation of Chromate in Trivalent Chromium Process (TCP) Coatings on AA2024 as Probed by Raman Spectroscopy” J. Electrochem. Soc. (2012), 159(8), C326-C333
(21) Sasaki, Isao; Swope, Vernon M.; Ay, Ayten; Kim, Doo Young; Swain, G. M. “Microstructureal Stability of Electrically Conducting Diamond Powder during Potentiostatic Polarization in Aqueous Acid as Probed Using Electrochemical Methods and In Situ Raman Spectroscopy” J. Electrochem. Soc. (2011), 158(11), B1446
(22) Kim, Doo Young; Wang, Jian; Yang, Juchan, Kim, Hyoun Woo; Swain, Greg M.,“Electrolyte and Temperature Effects on the Electron Transfer Kinetics of Fe(CN)6-3/-4 at Boron-Doped Diamond Thin Film Electrodes”, J. Phys. Chem. C (2011), 115(20), 10026
(23) Hyoun Woo Kim, Hyo Sung Kim, Han Gil Na, Ju Chan Yang, Rino Choi, Jae Kyeong Jeong, Chongmu Lee, Kim, Doo Young “One-step fabrication and characterization of silica-sheathed ITO nanowire” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, (2010), 183, 249
(24) Kim, Doo Young; Merzougui, Belabbes; Swain, Greg M., “Preparation and Characterization of Glassy Carbon Powder Modified with a Thin Layer of Boron-Doped Ultrananocrystalline Diamond (B-UNCD)”, Chemistry of Materials (2009),21(13), 270
(25) Kim, Doo Young; Grey, John K.;Barbara, Paul F. “A Bimodal Density of States for Conjugated Polymers”, Synthetic Metals (2006),156(2-4), 33
(26) Lee, Young Jong; Kim, Doo Young; Barbara, Paul F.,“Effect of Sample Preparation andExcitation Conditions on the Single Molecule Spectroscopy of Conjugated Polymers”Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2006), 110(20), 9739.
(27) Grey, John K.; Kim, Doo Young; Lee, Young Jong; Gutierrez, Jose J.; Luong, Nam; Ferraris, John P.; Barbara, Paul F., “Single Molecule Studies of Electronic Energy Transfer in a Diblock Conjugated Polymer”Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (2005), 44(38), 6207.