Bert C. Lynn
Ph.D. Mississippi State University, 1987
Mass spectrometry research in my group is divided into three broad areas: 1) proteomics and biological mass spectrometry, 2) environmental methods development working at the interface between environmental chemistry and biology and 3) quadrupole ion trap instrument development.
- Proteomics projects include development of biomarkers in CSF of Alzheimer's Disease (AD), and neuronal mitochondrial changes in AD, transcription of MnSOD during tumorgenesis and determination of protein modifications in thermophilic anaerobic bacteria adapted to high ethanol environments.
- Environmental methods development is currently focused on chemical alterations to proteins resulting from oxidative stress such as acrolein modification. We continue to be interested in pesticide toxicology and have recently focused on phosphorylation of the enzyme butyryl cholinesterase by organophosphorus insecticides. Example spectra: MALDI spectrum of the active site peptide, MALDI spectrum of the inhibited active site peptide, Capillary HPLC chromatogram of the inhibited active site peptide, and MS/MS spectrum of the inhibited active site peptide
- A variety of quadrupole ion trap (QIT) projects are underway including development of miniature cylindrical ion traps, ion tomography experiments, ion mobility in a QIT and alternative scan functions.
Analytical Chemistry, Mass Spectrometry
- T. I. Williams, B. C. Lynn, W. R. Markesbery and M. A. Lovell, “Elevated 4-hydroxynonenal and Acrolein in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Early Alzheimer’s Disease.”, Neurobiol. Aging, 27, 1094-1099, (2006).
- T.I. Williams, J.C. Combs, A.P. Thakur, H.J. Strobel and B.C. Lynn “A Novel Bicine Running Buffer System for Doubled Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate – Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis of Membrane Proteins” Electrophoresis, 27, 2984-2995 (2006).
- X. Liu, M.A. Lovell and B.C. Lynn, “Detection and Quantification of Endogenous Cyclic DNA Adducts Derived from 4-hydroxynonenal in Human Brain Tissue by Isotope Dilution Capillary Liquid Chromatography Nanoelectrospray Tandem Mass Spectrometry” Chem. Res. Toxicol., 19, 710-718 (2006).
- S. Pandit, B. C. Lynn, B. C. Rymond, “Inhibition of a spliceosome turnover pathway suppresses splicing defects” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 103, 13700-13705 (2006).
- A. T. McCollum, F. Jafarifar, B. C. Lynn, R. U. Agu, A. L. Stinchcomb, S. Wang, Q. Chen, R. P. Guttmann “Inhibition of Calpain-Mediated Cell Death by a Novel Peptide Inhibitor” Experimental Neurology,202, 506-513 (2006).
- T. I. Williams, J. C. Combs, B. C. Lynn, H. J. Strobel “Proteomic Profile Changes in Membranes of Ethanol-Tolerant Clostridium thermocellum” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 74, 422-432 (2007).
- A. M. Martin, T. Liu, B. C. Lynn, A. P. Sinai “The Toxoplasma gondii parasitophorous vacuole membrane: transactions across the border” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 54, 25-28 (2007).
- J. Sun. B.C. Lynn “Development of a MALDI-TOF-MS Method to Identify and Quantify Butyrylcholinesterase Inhibition Resulting from Exposure to Organophosphate and Carbamate Pesticides” J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom., 18, 698-706 (2007).
- A.M. Martin, T. Liu, B.C. Lynn, A.P. Sinai “A Elimination of Affinity Reagent Interference for the Mass Spectrometric Detection of Low-Abundance Proteins Following Immunoprecipitation” J. Proteome Res., 6, 4758-4762 (2007).
- Q. Wang, L. Zhang, B.C. Lynn and B.C. Rymond "A BBP–Mud2p heterodimer mediates branchpoint recognition and influences splicing substrate abundance in budding yeast"Nucleic Acids Research, 36, 2787-2798 (2008).
- Y. Fu, S.Xiong, M.A. Lovell, B.C. Lynn, “Quantitative Proteomic Analysis of Mitochondria in Aging PS-1 Transgenic Mice” Cell Mol. Neurobiol.,29, 649-664 (2009).
- M.D. Timmons, B.L. Knutson, S.E. Nokes, H.J. Strobel, B.C. Lynn, “Analysis of composition and structure of Clostridium thermocellum membranes from wild-type and ethanol-adapted strains” Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 82, 929–939 (2009).
- J. Sun, B.C. Lynn, “Development of a LC/MS/MS method to analyze butyrylcholinesterase inhibition resulting from multiple pesticide exposure” J. Chromatogr., 877, 3681–3685 (2009).
- B.C. Lynn, J. Wang, W.R. Markesbery, M.A. Lovell, “Quantitative Changes in the Mitochondrial Proteome from Subjects with Mild Cognitive Impairment, Early Stage, and Late Stage Alzheimer's Disease” J. Alzheimers Dis., 19, 325-339 (2010).
- M.D. Timmons, M.A. Bradley, M.A. Lovell, B.C. Lynn “Procedure for the Isolation of Mitochondria, Cytosolic and Nuclear Material from a Single Piece of Neurological Tissue for High-Throughput Mass Spectral Analysis” J. Neuroscience Methods, 197, 279-282 (2011).