Our department is involved in an array of outreach activities including demonstrations and interactive experiments. We work with students at UK and regional institutions as well as K-12 students in the local area. Read more about some examples of activities below, and contact us if you would like more information. Images from some of our recent demonstrations are shown below.
Demonstrations on Demand
If your group would like a visit from a member of our knowlegeable and enthusiastic outreach team, please email Prof. Anne-Frances Miller. We are happy to put together a program based on your interests, designed to complement your curriculum, or to inform you on current events.
Fun and Helpful Web Sites
Periodic Tables, etc
- A nice periodic table.
- Highly recommended!! The University of Nottingham's Periodic Table of Videos.
- A site with sub-sites for every element and tons of information on each.
- A web page with links to many things chemical, including the electronic structures of different atoms.
Reference Material & Background Information
- Table of strengths of a variety of acids and bases. Strengths are quoted in terms of the acid or base's pKA.
- This site contains more advanced information but quite clearly explained.
- Chemistry demonstrations, in-class activities and links to many other informative sites aimed at a high-school level. Click Here.
- Lots of good chemistry demonstrations by topic.
- Demonstrations created by Indiana University.
- Jelly optics.
- Cereal-box and CD spectroscope for viewing the colours that make up light from different sources.